Are you among those water adventure lovers and planning to go paddling? Looking to add some extra accessories for your paddling? Shopping for SUP Accessories? Then check the blog that details, How to choose sup accessories that guide you the best.
Just as you require a good pair of hiking stuff to climb a mountain, similarly a suitable paddle would give you the most memorable moments on the water. The best stand up paddle must be light enough to be used for an entire day.
Also, it should be capable enough to handle the most difficult situations. Thus, it is very important to choose your SUP accessories smartly. The following are some of the essential criteria that one must take care of before buying them.
Choosing SUP Leashes
A leash generally tethers your SUP and protecting you from falling while waves and wind move your board. The leash keeps you adjoin with the board. One end is wrapped around your ankle while the other is attached to the point of the board.
Certain things are there to consider before buying the perfect leash for you. They are:
- Choose the Correct Length: Make sure that the leash is one foot longer than the paddleboard.
- Always have a specific leash: Don’t ever mix the leashes. It means to have a specific leash for specific boards as not any leash can manage the weight of any board.
- Check if it is for ankle or calf: Some leashes are designed for your calf while some are for ankles. Be sure what is more comfortable for you.
- Which leg is preferable to you: Albeit it is preferable to use your dominant leg, the one you will put behind, to attach the leash. Thus, check if the leash is perfect for that leg.
- Apt for river paddling: If opting for river paddling, make sure the leash contains the breakaway feature. So that you can free yourself if the board gets tangled.
CHOOSING SUP Paddle
Paddle plays a very important role in paddling. However, there are several materials used to make paddles. Each has its advantages and limitations.
- Fibreglass: Fiberglass paddles are stiff, light, and manage an amazing balance between performance and value—these paddles used for both blades and shafts.
- Wood: Such paddles are reasonably lightweight, renewable, and give warmth after holding, unlike the synthetic materials. Wood sometimes used to craft the entire paddle, while sometimes only the blade.
- Carbon Fiber: It is one of the strongest and lightest materials used to build paddles. Since it is lightweight, it doesn’t hurt your arms much.
- Aluminium: Aluminum paddle is comparatively cheaper than the rest of the materials. But it has its drawbacks, i.e., it is quite heavier and cold to touch.
- Plastic: Plastic is another cheapest material used to make a paddle. Mostly the grips and models are made of plastic, and they are very heavy to hold.
CHOOSING SUP Mounts
Mounts used to attach accessories with your SUP. There are various types of mounts available for you that can easily be attached to suction cups or preplaced attachment points of the board.
- Camera Mounts: Who doesn’t want to capture their best moments? You can attach your action camera to the decking of the board. But make sure to keep it in a waterproof case.
- Phone Mounts: This mount is for the phone users. Many prefer to record their memorable adventures on their phones. Phone mounts also allow you to keep track of the map, your distance and speed, or read any text message from your smartphone.
- Fishing Mounts: In these mounts, you can carry all those fishing stuff like rods or paddle holders.
- Beverage Mounts: You might feel thirsty during paddling; this mount let you carry drinks with you.
CHOOSING SUP Deck Bags
While paddling many paddlers avoid wearing backpacks for being unable to balance. For them, a deck back is a useful alternative. You can carry all your essentials like water, food, lotions, and extra clothes with you. These bags can be attached to the preplaced dedicated points on the board or any other installed adhesive attachments. But make sure to check the following while opting for a deck bag:
- Attachment: Check if the bag is attachable to your board or not, and whether there are other attachment points made on the board.
- Volume: Be sure the bag is spacious enough to carry all your essentials.
- Insulation: Insulation on deck bags works as a soft cooler for your SUP. And it makes them best for carrying cold drinks and food during paddling.
CHOOSING SUP Carts
If your board is heavy enough, you might find it difficult to carry it from the water. A wheeled cart seems to be helpful in such a situation. However, some of the carts designed to hold the board at the tail, and others go in the center.
- End-carry Carts: It supports the board from one end, mostly the tail. And the top of the board faces the ground. You can pick up the nose of your board and pull or push it to move.
- Centre-carry Carts: It aims to support the board from the middle and often hold it from the sides. You can simply push or pull it by grabbing any of the ends.
Also, the wheels attached to the carts have different types.
- Air-filled tires: These air-filled tires are best for wheeling through the soggy ground or soft sand.
- Airless wheels: Plastic used to make airless wheels. They can easily get rolled on firm terrains like packed sand, pavement, and boat launches.
How to Choose SUP Accessories Verdict
An adventure becomes memorable only when you focus on other little things of the adventure. Hence, these are some of the crucial accessories that would help you to make your holiday and adventure easy and more interesting.
Apart from them bungee cord/ tie-down straps, SUP storage bags, length and type of the paddle are furthermore things to be considered before going for paddling. Hope this article would help you to make your paddle journey most pleasant and joyous.